jueves, 19 de mayo de 2011

American rethoric: a place to hear and read speeches in english

It is not surprising that you can be able to find almost anything on the internet nowadays. What it is surprising are the thoughts of some of us thinking "Bah, imposible. That cannot exist". Well, maybe not in all the languages on earth, but definitively you can find almost anything in english nowadays with enough patient and the proper search engine.

Why am I writing this? Well, because of what is written on the title: I found a great place to practice both reading and listening following my previous advice: use political speeches to practice english, since they have to communicate clearly their ideas to everybody.

Since I had already the idea in mind, the famous speech of Marthin Luther King Jr., "I have a dream", I went to youtube and found it without many difficulties. Then I moved to google and search for the speech (I felt too lazy to write it and it would be a pointless effort, since probably it was already done) and found the webpage... with the video. Great! I never thought both things would be available at the same place. Not if it wasn't written in youtube itself. Ah! I underestimated how youtube revolutioned internet, letting you to show the video almost anywhere you want. I must say I don't know the entire history, so maybe there were another service before, but at least not as popular as youtube.

So, as I said, here is the web-page I mentioned:

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkihaveadream.htm

and here the speech of Martin Luther King, Jr:

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkihaveadream.htm

Do not worry if you cannot understand everything. It is a bit more difficult than the previous speech of Obama. And the noise also disturbs a bit.

No hay comentarios: